Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Vegan Challenge 2011

Hello Folks! Well January has quite possibly been one of my busiest months and a lot of changes have been made! As you can clearly see- no picture for this post. Part of the reasoning for this is that over two weeks ago while drinking a beer and eating some french fries with our friends Christopher and Danielle we found ourselves in a conversation about vegan diets. Soon enough we were all signing our signatures on the back of a Co-op receipt pledging to eat vegan until Danielle's birthday, February 12th! Oh nelly!

So far so good. But there are some major items that I am missing BIG TIME. Mostly butter and cheese. While there are some alternatives to both- they are simply not the same. I have managed to come up with some vegan cookie recipes which I will share is future posts. But for now I will eat my peanut butter sandwhich and dream of buttercream frosting and quesadillas! Just 10 more days to go until we celebrate Danielle with Boston Cream pie and something smothered in cheese!

Now clearly, I must stop engaging in "challenges" before they get too out of hand! The other challenges that I have committed to this past month have been signing up for my first Ultra (30 miles) with my super amazing family friend Cory! And then the other, longer commitment "challenge" is changing my degree track from M.S to PhD. Whoa Nelly! This last challenge puts my measly 1 month vegan challenge into perspective- small beans compared to PhD.

Well, ultimately my opinion is that it is important to stretch ourselves mentally, physically, and emotionally frequently. When we accomplish the unexpected we will truly discover what we are capable of. Try to do something that you are nervous about or have been putting off - you just might surprise yourself.

Peace and Love,

Kara

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! On all three counts. :-)

    I once challenged myself to eat vegetarian for six months. That was in September 2001. I haven't eaten meat once since then.

    Last year I challenged myself to run a marathon even though I'd never run before in my life. That went pretty well.

    No Ph.D. for me though. Just the kid ... and that may be challenge enough for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a Kid!?!?! Maybe I will try that after I finish these challenges! Definitely the challenge of a lifetime! You will both be fantastic parents- congratulations again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so cool sissy! I miss you mucho. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete