Thursday, June 16, 2011

Seven



Last week was a little epic. While I was finishing up with a research deadline, and gearing up for my first ultramarathon, I was also preparing for family to come visit our new place for the first time since we moved. But while all of these factors were providing me with a little bit of stress- the pressure I felt for making a sweet seven-year-old's birthday cake and birthday extravaganza special topped them all.

When I realized that I would need to make his birthday cake I knew that this was possibly the most important cake that I have baked in my life! Usually I put a lot of time and thought into every cake that I bake- and this was no exception.

I spent days coming up with my strategy, creating new recipes, and approaching problems such as "how much filling can I put into three layers of cake without sacrificing the structural integrity?" to how can I make it "Star War-sy" enough? Once I felt comfortable with my plan of attack- I started the cake. It was going to be a three layer nine inch chocolate cake with "oreo" and whipped chocolate ganache filling all wrapped up in delphinium blue super yummy frosting, and decorated with fondant stars and Star Wars figurines.


So when it came time to execute the plan, somewhere between the oreo filling and whipped chocolate ganache I started bawling. Here I was making my Caleb his seventh birthday cake. You may be thinking- "geesh, seven-year-olds love anything with sugar- whats all the pressure about?"

Seven years ago on June 10, 2004, when I was nineteen years old I had a son. Crazy! I know! Well, realizing my limitations and knowing that he deserved so much more than what I could offer, I decided to pursue adoption. And in this process, rather than losing him, I have since realized that I have gained 3 more amazingly graceful and beautiful family members. However, if you would have asked me seven years ago if I would ever be able to make him his birthday cake or even spend a birthday with him I would have answered "probably not."

Ironically, a couple minutes into my messy, humbling, grateful cry-fest 2011- his mom called. I was able to share that moment with her and express how amazed and grateful I am to spend the weekend with them and to be making his birthday cake! I let her in on the theme and the flavors- needless to say she was excited!!!

The next day I put the finishing touches on the cake, picked up the birthday balloons, and hung the streamers. I wrapped his super soaker squirt gun (yes- I did feel weird about buying him a gun! But it was a huge hit!) and hid his brother's super soaker. I frantically cleaned until I received the text- "we are on Pioneer!"

When they came out of the car I saw my beautiful boy (who was wearing a Star Wars shirt), picked him up,  swung him around and asked him "how on earth did you become 7?!" Shortly after pinning him with his "super birthday Jedi knight" medal and opening his presents, we sang "happy birthday" and cut the cake. He loved it, his brother loved it, his parents loved it. And I will dare to say that it was the best cake I have ever made.

Thank you Caleb for being the brightest star in my sky, the kick in the butt when I need it, the reason why I started running, and the light at the end of my tunnel. You have taught me enough lessons to fill a lifetime. The motivation, joy, peace and love you bring to my life is beyond measure.




The happy boy with his birthday cake! Yummy!
Peace and Love,
Kara

Postscript: The recipe for this amazingly delicious cake and all the fillings will follow :)

4 comments:

  1. It is likely just postpartum hormones, but I cried all the way through this post. What a beautiful story!

    The cake looks awesome too! We just watched Star Wars the other day. Caleb has good taste. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Martha. Love to you, Kyle and Miss Rosie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an inspiration, Kara! I don't have postpartum hormones and I still cried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's been 7 years already! I am every bit as amazed at your strength now as I was back then. You are such an impressive woman.

    ReplyDelete